Man! look at the grey miserable weather outside… no wonder i am feeling grumpy today!
As a mean to let off the steam, I am going to list 10 things here that I hate most when others either accuse/ prejudge, or generalise shoujo manga in overall for being what-not:
1. “Manga is bad, FULL STOP”
2. “Shoujo manga is for girls only”, or “shoujo manga is girly”.
3. “Shoujo manga is for those who’d only dream/ fantasise on romance which is unreal/ impossible in reality”.
4. “Shoujo (and/or josei, so to speak) manga is all about H (or smuts), aka females’ porn”
5. Shoujo manga is all about teenage girls pursuing romance with their love-interests (i.e. boys in the same class/ school/ neighbourhood, etc) in a similar way they pursue their fan-interest in celebrities in a teenage crush…”
6. “Shoujo manga stories are genred and one-dimensional” – see 3, 4 and 5.
7. “Josei and/or BL is not shoujo manga” or vice versa
8. (Shoujo) manga being branded as “comic” (I cringe!)
9. “BL/ Yuri manga is for homosexual audiences only”
10. “BL is all about H (aka smuts) all-in-all”
Let me just clarify that I am not saying some, if not all of the above 10 is not true. Indeed there are series of which the stories are completely one dimensional or smut-orientated, etc. Nonetheless, it is important to note that any particular manga series should be judged on its own merits.
Thus the motivations for me to try to keep up with this site here, and to introduce as many shoujo series that you folks probably may not have even heard of! : )
—- In short, I am calling as always for your feedback and support folks! *wink*
It is darn true that there are some “bad” series out there lurking around in the manga world, some of which I might brand them “overly-cheesy”, for instance…. BUT it does not necessary mean people should turn away from these series! There are some old folks, like me, still enjoy reading a no-brainer story on a friday evening, merely for the purpose of chilling-out-and-relax-over-that-one-week’s-blues……
So, when I have reviewed a series here and branded it “cheesy”, please take note that it could really either be a “bad or good cheese”, depending on your taste! : )